Sunday, March 10, 2013

Life of a Stay-at-Home Mom

One may underestimate or feel bad looking at a housewife/stay-at-home mom for having no career on its own. Think again. Being a stay-at-home mom is a FULL-TIME job and should not be looked down upon.

I must admit, I've always imagined myself a a high-powered lawyer, juggling career and family life. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I will be staying at home, taking care of the kids. I always say to myself: "I don't want to be boring. I want a career and a life on my own!"

But when I got pregnant to my first baby, things changed. Suddenly, my world revolved around her. Seeing her after 9 hard and long months is the best feeling in the world. But then, there's my dream. I went back to law school because for me, fulfilling my dream is a step towards giving my daughter the best life possible. Win-win situation. Until I got pregnant again. That's when I decided to quit law school and focus on the kids instead. Then I realized, maybe my real calling is to be a full-time mom, not a lawyer. I felt bad, of course. Giving up something I really, really want is not easy. But then there's 2 of them. I really have to make a choice, and being a full-time mom is the choice I made.

It's not easy. Not because I'm at home with no academic stuff bothering me, everything else is less complicated. It's not. I am in charge of the household, do the grocery, prepare meals and most importantly, take care of the babies. I have to make sure that their needs and the house's needs are attended to, immediately. I will be the one to bring them to the hospital in case something bad happened. And the good thing about being at home? I get to see the baby's progress everyday! The first step, hear the first word, first laugh, everything! And no amount of money can pay that.

Being a stay-at-home is not bad. Like many other stay-at-home moms, I'm thinking of ways to do something worthwhile even at the comfort of my home. Like getting an online job for example. Not only will my mind work again, I get to earn extra while looking after the kids. I also get to read my overdue books bought years ago. I also learn and discover new things, even though not law-related, through the Internet. I also tried cooking new dishes and baking, something I've been wanting to do ever since. Now that I'm staying at home, I get to experiment and try out something new. And of course, I will be able to bring my daughter to her Gymboree class (where she'll start this week). At least I'll see how she's able to deal with the other kids her age. And if there's one thing this whole stay-at-home mom thing is good at, other than seeing my baby's progress --I get to find myself again. I have time to reflect and reconnect with myself, with no distractions and pressures of school and extracurricular activities.

I may go back and finish law school, or take my Masters or whatever. For now, my focus is my children, the loves of my life.

So the next time you looked down on a stay-at-home mom, DON'T! We do have a career: our children.

---------

Check this out :) No worries, it's a safe site :)

No comments:

Post a Comment